Saturday, March 29, 2014

Week 8 Day 5: The Calm After the Storm

Major Activities of the Day: Today we had a lot of free time.  (It's sort of a running theme for Fridays.)  Since my major presentation was yesterday, I was too wired up to really use the time productively.  I ended up chatting with a few other students, getting to know people better, talking about the meetup and our projects, trying to get some advice about what went well and what didn't.

Of course, I couldn't just abandon my project 100%.  So I went back and tried to figure out what went wrong with Facebook login.  It turns out (and I discovered this in about 2 minutes, fixed it in maybe 3 more) that Facebook requires you to tell them that your app is live and available for people to access.  In practice, this means that at developer.facebook.com, on the page for your app, you flip a switch to indicate that the app is live.  That's all.  I also now understand why I could log in - because I'm the developer - but no one else could.

At the end of the day, Avi spoke for a while about Project Mode, which we'll be having for the next few weeks.  It sounds pretty cool - build a new web app every week, in a group of 2-3 students.  We're also supposed to deploy every day - i.e., we need to have something deploy-ready on day one, and then build up from there.  It'll be a very different atmosphere than we've had until now, but that's not a bad thing - in fact, it sounds like a reasonable approximation of the atmosphere we'll have in real work environments, with strict deadlines and lots of teamword.  Looking forward!

Skills developed: Not much today, to be honest.  But I'm super excited for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment