Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Week 8 Day 2: Going Deeper Into Ajax

Major Activities of the Day: We had a lecture about Ajax, followed by a slew of labs to apply our knowledge.  The first was some simple work with selectors - far less complicated than what I've been doing thus far - so I finished it quickly.  Next was taking a comment form for a news website and making it have validations.  In the middle of working on it, I just got very stressed out about my project and returned to working on it.  (I also did some work with it in the morning as well.)

Today's major task was figuring out how to get my application to properly interface with Yummly, which offers an API to gather information on recipes based on search terms.  I get 500 free API calls per day, so I have to make sure my app isn't making unnecessary calls, but otherwise it should be fine.  I also added some dynamic elements to the form to add fields on the fly and build a menu of recipes based on which recipes the user checks off.  The checkboxes and descriptions are generated through an Ajax call, where the client queries the server, and the server calls the API, gets a list of recipes, and sends them to the client.  I also figured out how to listen for an enter press as an alternative to clicking a button.

Skills developed: Working with APIs and Ajax

No comments:

Post a Comment