Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Week 9 Day 1: Ready for Deploy, Captain!

Major Activities of the Day: Today we spent the morning rallying the troops and figuring out what project we're going to work on.  I'm going to be working with Chris Kohlbrenner and Jisu Kim on an app that helps users learn the most commonly used words in a language, based on the Pareto principle, also known as the 80/20 rule.  Essentially, most of our conversation consists almost entirely of the most-used words, so common words give you far more bang for your buck than less-used words.

We had a lecture today by Spike Grobstein, who showed us how to set up a Linux server using DigitalOcean's cloud service.  It was super confusing.  We all got our own little server to try with, and of course, despite working for several hours, I just couldn't get things to work properly.  (In all fairness, it may have been a problem with my app, since I tried to deploy Eateract to the server.)  Luckily for me, there are platforms like Heroku that let you avoid these problems, but eventually I'll have to learn how to do this SysAdmin stuff, I suppose.

We ended the day by conferring with our teammates about the coming few days' project.  We're starting in earnest tomorrow morning, and I'm eager to greet the challenge!

Skills developed: Server setup/administration, project planning

No comments:

Post a Comment